Position summary: The Communications Coordinator plays an important role in furthering our mission and engaging with donors, stakeholders, and our community. The Communications Coordinator is first and foremost a storyteller, promoting and communicating ALSC’s work to our community of supporters and gathering future supporters.
The Communications Coordinator must be skilled in communicating via a wide variety of mediums—from 240 characters to email appeals, short videos to the narrative arc of events, newsletters to photos—and be ever ready to learn and try new ways to connect with our audience. The Coordinator oversees all internal and external print and digital communication, and manages message creation/storytelling in support of ALSC’s mission, vision, and values. The Coordinator also supports online giving campaigns—from concept to execution—in collaboration with ALSC’s Leadership Team.
- Develop messaging aligned with ALSC’s vision and goal of promoting justice for all Alaskans.
- Craft effective and compelling email messages highlighting ALSC’s legal advocacy as well as our community outreach and education efforts.
- Manage website and social media platforms—including writing original content, posting on platforms, and troubleshooting problems. Be the voice of ALSC and encourage community engagement through current social networks (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram).
- Collaborate with program staff to develop and maintain meaningful relationships with community organizations.
- Draft internal communications including talking points, messaging documents, press releases, fact sheets, and other materials as needed.
- Create, coordinate, edit, and deploy online and print communications including annual appeals, promotional materials, event invitations, and event materials.
- Be knowledgeable about, and facilitate the effective use of, new technologies and software that will enhance and facilitate external communications. Educate staff on the appropriate uses of these new technologies.
- Keep up to date with current online trends, especially in the nonprofit sector, and recommend new outreach solutions and opportunities.
- Help plan and execute fund development, fundraising events, and marketing materials; conducting research to identify prospective foundation and corporate funders.
- Prepare and write a variety of content including grants and fundraising proposals.
- Analyze data from ALSC’s Case Management System and identify ways to promote and visually translate this information to various audiences.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing or commensurate experience preferred. The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to social justice and the mission of ALSC. Familiarity with cross-cultural situations, strong writing/editing skills, a high level of creativity and the ability to think analytically preferred. Demonstrated experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, various social media channels, Google Analytics and AdWords, donor databases, and WordPress. Experience in graphic design highly valued.
Applications: ALSC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. To apply, submit cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to: Nikole Nelson, email@example.com.
This position is full-time, 35 hours per week. Hourly wage $19.94 to $28.57 DOE. Generous leave and benefits package.
About Alaska Legal Services Corporation (ALSC): ALSC is a private, nonprofit law firm with a mission is to provide civil legal aid to those who can’t afford it. Through our work we empower people and communities to protect their safety, their health and promote family stability. Through advocacy, education, collaboration and litigation we empower individuals, protect fundamental rights, strengthen communities, create opportunities and achieve justice.